Our mission is to serve and represent the hospitality industry within the Municipality of Anchorage. Collaborate with responsible members, stakeholders, and businesses as a vital part of the community.


Anchorage CHARR is a united financially sound organization committed to protect, foster, and grow the hospitality industry locally, which serves a strong membership and fosters a positive relationship with the Anchorage community.


The ServSafe program is the most widely recognized food safety certification in the nation. The ServSafe Food Protection Manager Certification Program has been deemed valid, reliable, and legally defensible, as well as transferable between jurisdictions.

Food safety training is a commitment, a mindset and a smart business practice for every restaurant and foodservice operation in our industry. Food safety training doesn't end once a manager earns certification. That's where it begins - by implementing food safety practices on a daily basis and training staff in the food safety practices learned in the ServSafe program. The ServSafe program provides the resources to help keep food safety as an essential ingredient in every meal. ServSafe training is the one commitment to food safety implementation that we should all share every day.

Alaska CHARR provides this valuable training for both the Limited Food Protection Manager Certification (4-hour class) and the Food Protection Manager Certification (8-hour class).

ServSafe® Frequently Asked Questions

Who is required to have the Food Protection Manager Certification?

Currently the Anchorage municipal food code requires that an establishment that cooks and prepares food must have a Food Protection Manager on staff. The Food Protection Manager is the person in charge of the day to day activities. The DEC has introduced a new food code for the state of Alaska that will require the certification. As of yet that food code is not in affect.

How long is the certification good for?

Five years.

How long does the class last?

The class is approximately 8 hours long with an hour lunch break.

How many questions are on the exam?

The exam contains 90 multiple choice questions with a passing rate of 75%.

Is the exam open book?

ServSafe instructors are required to follow strict exam security procedures. The book may not be used when taking the exam.

When will I know if I passed?

The exams are secured and sent via UPS to the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation to be graded. It then takes about 12 days to receive the results. In the mean time CHARR will provide proof of course completion to the state or municipal health department

Do I have to attend the class or can I just take the exam?

For those who have previously attended the class, the exam is available in the CHARR office by appointment. The exam is taken on line and administered by one of our proctors. Instant results are obtained from the on line exam. The ServSafe Essentials 4th Edition textbook will be provided for study and review.

Who is required to have the Limited Food Protection Manager Certification?

Currently the Anchorage municipal food code requires operators who serve ready to eat foods such as hot dogs and muffins, espresso stands and bars to have this certification. The person in charge of the day-to-day operation needs the certification. The new food code the DEC is introducing will require that food handlers obtain their Food Worker certification.

How do I obtain the certification?

Certification is done on a test challenge basis at the CHARR office Monday through Friday 10:00am to 2:00pm. The book is included in the fee and should be studied prior to taking the test. In house food safety training is provided for groups of 10 or more.

Food Worker Card Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs the Food Worker Card?

"Anyone who handles food for the public within the Municipality of Anchorage." This list includes servers, bartenders, busters, cooks, prep-cooks, dishwashers, meat cutters, deli workers, and licensed daycare food workers. "Anyone who works with unpackaged food or food contact surfaces" is required to have a card. If you are unsure whether or not you or your employees need this card, call the Department of Health Office at 907-343-4200 or our office at 907-646-4628.

I live in the Municipality of Anchorage. Do I still need to get the Food Worker Card?

YES as of January 2010 anyone who handles food in any capacity within The Municipality of Anchorage has to have there food handlers card within 30 days of hire.

I did the ServSafe Certified Food Protection Manager training. Do I need to get this card too?

No. The CFPM on staff will be the person expected to ensure compliance with the food worker card requirement and to maintain those records. They do not have to do the training. However it wouldn't hurt for them to familiarize themselves with the training program.

How much does it cost?

If your employer is a member of Anchorage CHARR then the walk in testing cost is $5.00

If your employer is not a member of Anchorage CHARR then the walk in testing cost is $10.00

How do I get this card?

You may walk in to our office located at 610 "C" Street, Suite B1 anytime Monday-Friday from 9:30am- 4:30pm. We are on the corner of 6th avenue and "C" Street right across from the 5th avenue mall.

Anchorage Food Protection Manager Certification

For information on times, locations, and costs of certification courses, please visit the Alaska CHARR SafeServ website.